3rd Annual St Urho's Day Mojakka Cook-Off
As always, the judging was by a blind test... the judges did not know who made which soup, nor did they know the ingredients. The results of their efforts, and the judges' comments in italics:
- 1st Place Lihamojakka - Kakabeka Mojakka, Dean Levanen, Thunder Bay, ONT. A modified version of the recipe that gave Dean the Lihamojakka Trophy in 2004.
"Traditional rustic soup. My nose and tastebuds say 'Grandma's mojakka.'"
- 1st Place Kalamojakka - Gary's Lake Trout Kalamojakka, Gary and Pat Ekman, Esko, MN.
"Two kinds of fish, well presented, creamy & sweet flavor." (Note: actually two different lake trout with different coloring.)
- 1st Place Potluck Mojakka - Mummu's Mojakka, Dennis Lampi, Courtney Jackson, Preston Jackson, Cloquet MN.
Traditional mojakka enhanced with snow peapods and wild rice."
The People's Choice Award was presented based on voting by those in attendance. Over 100 votes were cast, but nearly a quarter of them went to the Ekmans' Gary's Lake Trout Kalamojakka.
Like Chili, mojakka is largely a matter of personal taste. All of the contestants put some of their own personality into their soup. The participants (in no particular order) were:
The Friends of Animals Humane Society of Carlton County, Inc., and their animal shelter in Cloquet were the beneficiaries of this event. Over $600 was raised for the charity.
Winners were awarded trophies created and donated by All-Star Awards of Cloquet. Other contributors included:
- Posters. Northern Printery, Cloquet
- Door prizes. Bergquist Imports; Priscilla Harvala; Friends of Animals.
- Milk & butter. Franklin Foods, Duluth.
- Location for the Cook-off, bowls, spoons, bread, etc. Bert & Judy Whittington, Northeastern Hotel, Cloquet.
- Promotion. Tim Winker, Wink Timber Media Agency
- www.Mojakka.com and www.SaintUrho.com
- Connie Wirta, features editor, Duluth News-Tribune
- Bruce Ahlgren, Mayor of Cloquet
- Priscilla Harvala, Esko, Finnish-American poet
- Mary Lukkarila, Cloquet Public Library
- Dennis Aho, Superior, Wisc. Finnish historian.
March 16, 2005 - Duluth News-Tribune, TASTE Section:
"Esko couple wins Mojakka contest"
[ Home ]
[ Submit a recipe ]
[ Recipes ]
[ Finnish Dining ]
[ News ]
[ Calendar ]
[ Links ]
Comments about this site: cookoff @ mojakka.com