As of November 2002 when this site was started, there were only a handful of mojakka recipes on the whole World Wide Web, most using beef. Several others have appeared since then, and a couple have disappeared.
- Finnish Style Mojakka by Lois. Made with boneless beef roast.
(All Recipes | Soup)
- Mojakka ja Leipa. Chuck roast or short ribs.
(As served at Norsk Høstfest, an annual Scandinavian festival in Minot, North Dakota. Posted on Jerry Eidem's "Do-It-Again Recipes" site.)
- Matti's Kalamojakka
(Another recipe from "Jerry's Do-It-Again Recipes" site. This one comes from Oulu, Finland.)
- Selyanka Salmon Stew
(The Russian influence shows in this tomato based stew on "Jerry's Do-It-Again Recipes" site.)
- Walleye Chowder
(Though not called "Kalamojakka", this recipe from well-known Finnish-American chef Beatrice Ojakangas of Duluth, Minnesota, has the right ingredients.)
- Fiskesuppe (Fish Chowder)
(From the Sons of Norway web site.)
- The Secret of Moijakka by John Bispala.
(originally published at Camden News, Minneapolis, MN.)
Visitors to this site have contributed the following recipes. The variation is rather surprising.
- Mojakka Supreme - Priscilla J Harvala, Esko, MN
- Hoito Mojakka - Hoito Restaurant, Thunder Bay, Ontario
- Meat Stew - from Finnish Touches
- Mattila's Mojakka - Ann Maria Mattila, Rock Springs, WY
- Mumu's Mojakka - Dean Levanen, Thunder Bay, Ontario
Winner of the 2004 St. Urho's Day Mojakka Cook-Off. Best Lihamojakka.
- Ponka Family Mojakka - Philip Ponka, Thunder Bay, Ontario
- Scandinavian Beef Stew - Kristen Brady, South Bend, IN
- Violet's Hamburger Moijakka - Jody Kuurila, Sioux Lookout, Ontario
- Canadian Fish Camp Mojakka - Nancy Forsythe, Grand Marais, MN
- Kalamojakka (Fish Stew) - Lee Rowe, Marquette, MI
- Mojakka Piragis - Piragis Northwoods Company
- Uni's Kalamojakka (Fish Soup) - Marcia Malloy Pratt, Washburn, WI
- Chowder Mojakka - Joel Evers, Hoyt Lakes, MN
- Finnish Fish Chowder - Matti Lehtola, Finland
- Leftover Lutefisk Kalamojakka - Ed Jaakola, Cloquet, MN
- Wirta/Hoel Kalamojakka - Leland Olson, Arlington, SD
- Danish Fish Soup - Scandinavian Cooking by Beryl Frank
- Reino's Kalamoiika - Reino Koski
Grand Prize Winner, The Oregonian / James Beard recipe contests
- Prairie Lake Kalamojakka - Steve Pedley, Duluth, MN
- Ancient Finnish Secret - Stacy Desmond and Ben Rimolde
Winner of the 2004 St. Urho's Day Mojakka Cook-Off. Best Kalamojakka.
- Haarala Mojakka - Allan V. Haarala, Cobalt, Ontario
- Gary's Lake Trout Mojakka - Gary and Pat Ekman, Esko, MN
Winner of the 2005 St. Urho's Day Mojakka Cook-Off. Best Kalamojakka.
[ Home ]
[ Submit a recipe ]
[ Recipes ]
[ Finnish Dining ]
[ Mojakka Memories ]
[ News ]
[ Calendar ]
[ Links ]
Comments about this site: